We are part of a long history of tours along the spit, with the first ones starting in 1946 as part of the weekly mail delivery contract to the lighthouse families. Powerful old 4WD trucks were used in those days, with passengers sitting out on the open deck, exposed to strong winds, rain and sun. When the lighthouse was automated in 1984 the lighthouse families left, but the tours stayed, with Farewell Spit Tours maintaining the service since then. Today, strong sturdy 4WD buses are used, customised for the harsh conditions. With softer seats and big windows they are very comfortable compared to those of earlier days.